Sandy-Damaged Cars No Longer Permitted to Be Brought to Johnson's Pit Site
Mayor says site looks 'like a parking lot.'
According to an agreement between Barnegat Holdings LLC and Barnegat Township, Sandy-damaged cars will no longer be brought onto the Johnson's Pit area.
Township Administrator David Breeden told those in attendance at the committee meeting Monday that as of Dec. 8, vehicles were no longer allowed to be brought to the site. However, this was several days after the issue first came to the attention of township officials, and by that point, some 5,000 cars had already been brought to the site.
"It's like a parking lot at a stadium out there," Mayor Al Cirulli said in remarks to the town.
After initiating legal action last week against the property owners, Breeden said, the two parties came up with terms of a consent order, which are still being finalized. The terms specify that the:
- insurance company and property owner would no longer accept any cars after Dec. 8,
- property owner and insurance company will allow township access to the site at any time,
- property owner would provide the township, a phase 1 environmental study and that Barnegat Holding would be responsible for all remediation of the site,
- that all relevant documents relating to car operation would be available to the township
- and that all vehicles would be removed by Sept. 13
Cirulli said the cars are slated to be sold by auction, but he said, it will likely take months. "I really don't see this stuff being cleaned out for nine months."
One of the township residents that complained about the cars, Toni Carrea, said she "appreciated" the work that has been done, but she said she was frustrated that the cars were still there, and would likely remain there for some time.