Students Head Back to LBI After Sandy
Schools in Stafford also head back today.
Long Beach Island Consolidated School District Superintendent Karen T. McKeon and other administrators will welcome students back to the school today at their regularly-scheduled time.
"Our school community is back and ready to go for Monday, November 12th, 2012," McKeon wrote on a statement on the school's website. "Although, we will not be able to occupy the LBI Grade School just yet, we are on the road to recovery. Having everyone safe and sound was our priority and that mission was accomphished. There might be some glitches throughout this recovery period but we are aiming to keep a routine schedule and maintain stability for the sake of our students and staff."
On the site, McKeon notes Ethel A. Jacobson classrooms are as follows:
- PRE-K 3 - REMAINS THE SAME - #21
- PRE-K 4 - REMAINS THE SAME - #20
- KINDERGARTEN - COOK AND EINSELEN - #19
- FIRST GRADE - REMAINS THE SAME - #15 AND #16
- SECOND GRADE - REMAINS THE SAME - #22 AND #23
- THIRD GRADE - CONRAD #18 AND CARNEY #14
- FOURTH GRADE - DALY #24 AND TABBACHINO #25
- FIFTH GRADE - KAPPY/TOWNSEND #28 - MEDIA CENTER
- SIXTH GRADE - LAWLOR #26 AND KLESITZ #27
- PARENTS DROPPING OFF AND PICKING-UP FOR KIDS CARE WILL CONTINUE TO USE THE SOUTH-END DOOR.
- PARENTS DROPPING-OFF AND PICKING UP VIA THEIR VEHICLES NEED TO PLEASE USE THE BARNEGAT AVENUE AND 2ND STREET ENTRANCE AND PULL UP TO THE CURB/SIDEWALK AREA ON THE NORTH-SIDE OF THE EJ SCHOOL (Facing east).
- BUSES WILL ENTER THE EJ SCHOOL GROUNDS WHERE THEY NORMALLY ARRIVE.
- ALL STUDENTS WILL EXIT THE BUSES STARTING WITH 6TH GRADE FIRST AND CONTINUING DOWNWARD TO PRE-K.
- GRADES 3, 4, 5, 6 WILL BEGIN CLASSES IMMEDIATELY; WHEREAS, PRE-K THROUGH GRADE 2 WILL PROCEED TO THE CAFETORIUM TO HAVE BREAKFAST.
- PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SEND IN BREAKFAST FOR YOUR CHILD BUT IF YOU ARE NOW EXPERIENCING PROBLEMS, FREE BREAKFAST AND LUNCH WILL BE PROVIDED AS PER A DIRECTIVE FROM THE STATE.
- GRADES 3-6 WILL EAT THEIR BREAKFAST IN THE CLASSROOMS.
- AT OUR LAST BOE PRIVATE SESSION, IT WAS DECIDED THAT THE LBI SCHOOL DISTRICT WILL BE PROVIDING SNACKS FOR THE STUDENTS FOR THE TIME BEING TO HELP OUR FAMILIES.
- COUNSELING WILL BE AVAILABLE TO OUR STUDENTS; PLEASE TELL MRS. OLDHAM OR MRS. BELL IF THERE IS SOMETHING THAT NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED WITH YOUR CHILD/REN. WE WILL BE DISCUSSING THIS THROUGHOUT THE FIRST WEEK BACK TO SCHOOL.
On the site McKeon notes that she is aware there are a number of island residents who remain displaced, and reminds residents to take "advantage of the kind, thoughtful and generous offerings provided by the community and from aross the United States." She notes that she is setting aside space heaters- one per family - from the Red Cross. She also noted that starting at 9 a.m. today, otehr resources are available to local families, including: clothing, coats, footwear, socks, toiletries, personal hygiene, food, toys, baby supplies, housewares, blankets, pillows, cleaning supplies, dog and cat food, etc. just to name a few.
Stafford and Southern Regional School District have plans to reopen on Nov. 12, after a regularly-scheduled week long break. The breaks in Stafford schools usually coincide with the week of the New Jersey Education Association (NJEA) convention in Atlantic City, which was cancelled.
In addition, the Ocean County Vocational Technical School district reopens today
The district includes the Marine Academy of Technology and Environmental Sciences (MATES), in Manahawkin, the Performing Arts Academy (PAA), in Lakehurst, and many other instructional programs offered at multiple sites throughout the county.
Editor's note: If you know of other school closures or reopenings in the Stafford and Barnegat area, including preschools, please post in the comments below.