Surf City: Surfing, Fishing, Shopping
Beach badge prices, lifeguard hours
Ship Bottom's immediate neighbor to the north, Surf City, is one of the island's smaller boroughs, though its beaches get their share of summer crowds.
Billed as one of the Jersey Shore's most family-friendly destinations, the 25-block-long town on Long Beach Island boasts ocean and bay beaches, noted eateries and (as of Summer 2012) two miniature golf courses.
Beach badges come with perks here: in addition to admission to ocean beaches and the two-block-long bathing beach between 15th and 17th streets on the bay side, badge holders are entitled to use borough tennis and basketball courts on Division Street, next to the boat ramp and playground area.
- Beach badges: $25 seasonal, when purchased before May 31; after that it's $35 for a seasonal badge. Weekly badge is $17 and daily badge $6. Children younger than 12 and seniors 65 and older are free. Badges can be purchased at the town hall, 813 Long Beach Boulevard.
- Lifeguard hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. June 16 to Labor Day.
- Parking: Available on side streets.
- Bathrooms: In borough hall. In addition, portable bathrooms will be available during the season at the bay beach on 15th and 16th streets, one at the boat ramp, and one on Division Street, by the bay.
- Food and drink: Picnicking is not allowed, but, according to the borough clerk's office, it's OK to bring a six-pack of a nonalcoholic beverage and a light snack.
For more information, call (609) 494-3064.