With Spring around the corner, Horizon wants you to be
Spring is considered the season of renewal. However, during this time termites begin to emerge as they search for new habitats and establish colonies. Horizon Pest Control and the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) would like to bring attention to this issue during National Termite Awareness Week. We encourage homeowners and potential homebuyers to know the dangers of termite infestation. Most importantly, we encourage all to seek a home inspection before you start an extensive remodeling project or purchase a home.
Also known as “silent destroyers,” termites can feed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. In addition, a single colony of Formosan or super termites could eat the whole structure of a home within 2 years. With over $5 billion in property damage each year from termites – Horizon wants you to be proactive in safeguarding your home against termites.
”I’ve seen first-hand the damage termites can do to a person’s home. Over time, termite damage leads to a weakened structure.” said Bernard Holst, Jr. at Horizon Pest Control. “To ensure the longevity of your home, we encourage homeowners to recognize the tell-tale signs. Do-it yourself measures will not work.”
Here are ten (10) tips from the NPMA to protect your home from termites:
1. Eliminate or reduce moisture in and around the home, which termites need to thrive.
2. Repair leaking faucets, water pipes and exterior AC units.
3. Repair fascia, soffits and rotted roof shingles.
4. Replace weather stripping and loose mortar around basement foundation and windows.
5. Divert water away from the house through properly functioning downspouts, gutters and splash blocks.
6. Routinely inspect the foundation of a home for signs of mud tubes (used by termites to reach a food source), cracked or bubbling paint and wood that sounds hollow when tapped.
7. Monitor all exterior areas of wood, including windows, doorframes and skirting boards for any noticeable changes.
8. Maintain an 18-inch gap between soil and any wood portions of your home.
9. Consider scheduling a professional inspection annually. Wood-boring insect damage is not covered by homeowners' insurance policies.
10. Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house.
For more information on termites, visit our website: www.horizonpestcontrol.com/termite.php . Horizon also offers termite control and management services with the Home Guard Plus, an environmentally-friendly pest control solution designed to maximize protection against termites while minimizing collateral damage.