Monday, Jan. 16, is a legal holiday honoring the birthday of civil rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr.
President Ronald Regan signed Martin Luther King, Jr. Day into law as a holiday in 1983, and it was observed for the first time on Jan. 20, 1986. The first time all 50 states celebrated the holiday was in 2000.
While government offices are closed, most businesses don't observe MLK Day. Here’s is a list of what’s open and closed for the holiday:
- , county and state government offices are closed, along with financial markets.
- Post offices are closed, and there is no regular mail delivery.
- Curbside trash pickup will be on regular schedules.
- are closed.
- The Ocean County Library system's branches, including the , are open with regular business hours.
- Banks have the option to close; many in the area remain open.
- Most retailers, car dealerships, restaurants, car washes and movie theaters will be open.
- Walgreens and Rite Aid pharmacies will be open.
Not only are local libraries open, a few are honoring MLK day in their ways. Bring the kids to the Point Pleasant Borough Branch, 834 Beaver Dam Road, Point Pleasant from noon to 5 p.m. for a special Martin Luther King, Jr. Day craft event.
The Manchester Branch, 21 Colonial Drive, Manchester, the library celebrates with a "Day of Dreams" volunteer event, asking kids ages 8 to 12 to honor the life of King and help out their community by volunteering at the library.