The Barnegat Township Democratic Club is sponsoring an American Red Cross
Blood Drive on Monday, April 14, 2014 from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Barnegat
Recreation Center, 900 West Bay Avenue, Barnegat.
Spring is coming and physical activity increases and with that, comes injuries. So the need for blood donations increases exponentially. This is a call to action for Southern Ocean County to come to Barnegat on April 14 and become a most generous donor of your blood.
Your help is needed because:
• Every two seconds someone in the United States needs blood.
• More than 38,000 blood donations are needed every day.
• One out of every 10 people admitted to the hospital needs blood.
• The blood type most often requested by hospitals is Type O.
• More than 1 million new people are diagnosed with cancer each year. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
• A healthy donor may make a whole blood donation every 56 days.
• Donating blood is a safe process. A sterile needle is used only once for each donor and then discarded.
• The average adult has about 10 – 12 pints of blood in their body. Roughly 1 pint is given during a donation.
• The actual blood donation typically takes less than 10 – 12 minutes. The entire process, from the time you arrive to the time you leave, takes about an hour.
• All donated blood is tested for HIV, Hepatitis B and C, syphilis and other infectious diseases, before it can be released to hospitals.
• Blood cannot be manufactured – it can only come from generous donors.
Please help us help the community by registering online at www.redcrossblood.org or call Carrie Diona @ 732-618-8012 to schedule an appointment.
Your blood donation will go a long way to helping out family, friends and neighbors here in Southern Ocean County and we thank you for your support.