A 19-year-old woman was treated for smoke inhalation following a structure fire at 10 Midship Drive in Barnegat Township last night.
The woman, whom police declined to identify, tried to help extinguish the fire, and suffered smoke inhalation as a result, according to Lieutenant Keith Germain.
She was taken to South Ocean County Medical Center for treatment. The homeowner, William Adamczyk, 31, refused medical attention on the scene, Germain said.
Germain said the fire started around 8 p.m. in the kitchen. "It looks like a grease fire," Germain said, adding that several neighbors came out to help Adamczyk douse the fire just as fire crews arrived on the scene.
Officials with the Barnegat Fire Company and Stafford Township Fire Department responded and extinguished the fire. Germain said the Ocean County Fire Marshall's Office, along with Barnegat First Aid, Public Works and Water Department responded as well.