Two Democrats and three Republicans have filed petitions to run in their respective primaries ahead of this year’s Township Committee race.
Two seats on the committee are open this year – those of Leonard Morano, the Committee’s lone Democrat, and Republican Martin Lisella. With the only Democratic-held seat open, the Nov. 8 general election has the potential to result in a fully Republican Committee.
Morano and Lisella have both filed petitions to keep their seats, said Township Clerk Kathleen T. West.
Democrat Michael P. Howard will run alongside Morano, and the Democratic primary election will be uncontested.
But Republican voters will have three options: Lisella, former Committee member Maxine Blumenthal and challenger Philip J. Checchia.
The primaries will be held Tuesday, June 7. The deadline for voters to declare a change in party affiliation is Monday, April 18, and the deadline to register in order to vote in the primary Tuesday, May 17.
The primary candidates:
- Leonard Morano, 34 Highland Drive (Incumbent Democrat)
- Michael P. Howard, 22 Birdsall Street (Democrat)
- Martin Lisella, 15 Shady Stream Road (Incumbent Republican)
- Maxine Blumenthal, 160 Brighton Road (Republican)
- Philip J. Checchia, 12 Windward Drive (Republican)
Check Barnegat Patch tomorrow for more details and input from those running.